Celebrating International Women’s Day | 20 Inspirational Female Authors
By Rebecca Reed, CRM Executive
Today is International Women’s Day, so here are our 20 inspirational female authors that you should all be reading right now.
1. Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)
2. Agatha Christie (Murder on the Orient Express)
3. Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird)
4. J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter Series)
5. Jojo Moyes (Me Before You)
6. Maya Angelou (I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings)
7. The Brontë Sisters (Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall)
8. Enid Blyton (The Famous Five)
9. Margaret Atwood (The Handmaid’s Tale)
10. Caitlin Moran (How To Be a Woman)
11. Beatrix Potter (Peter Rabbit)
12. Michelle Obama (Michelle Obama: A Life)
13. Malala Yousafzai (I Am Malala)
14. P.L. Travers (Mary Poppins)
15. Zadie Smith (Swing Time)
16. Hilary Mantel (Wolf Hall)
17. Kate Pankhurst (Great Women Who Changed The World)
18. Mahsuda Snaith (The Things We Thought We Knew)
19. Jacqueline Wilson (Hetty Feather)
20. Sylvia Plath (The Bell Jar)
Let’s celebrate all the brilliant women in writing not just today, but every day.
With so many fantastic women in literature, it has been a tough task to narrow our selection to just 20 and without a mention it would simply be a travesty: –
Jodi Picoult, Giovanna Fletcher, Virginia Woolf, Malorie Blackman, Jeanette Winterson, Mary Shelley, Daphne Du Maurier, Alice Walker, Elizabeth Bowen, Anne Frank, Katie Fforde, Philippa Gregory, Liane Moriarty, Louise Pentland, Sophie Kinsella, Paula Hawkins, Suzanne Collins, Victoria Hislop, Kathryn Stockett, Gillian Flynn, Dawn French, Muriel Spark, Ann Cleeves, Marian Keyes, Carrie Hope Fletcher.
We look forward to seeing more brilliant writing from these inspirational ladies in the future. Make sure you check out all of their work here at World of Books.